I am a 4th year Ph.D. student in the Department of Computer Science at the Viterbi School of Engineering at University of Southern California (USC). I am working with Dr. Clifford Neuman at Information Science Institute, USC.
My research interests lie in the Security of Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) such as Oil and Gas industrial control systems (ICS), smart grid, etc. and Healthcare data. More specifically, my current research is focused on evaluating the resilience of oil and gas CPS under cyber attacks. In the case of ICS, my motive is to quantify the resilience of the system regarding ability of the system to deliver minimum response under cyber attack. It involves the convolution of the cyber attacks with physical processes and sees their interdependency. I have taken a function-based approach to model such problems.
I have completed my Master of Science in Computer Science at USC from Jan 2014 till Dec 2015. Before joining USC, I received my MBA in Information and Communication Technology from Jaypee Business School Noida, India from 2011-2012 and received my Bachelors of Technology in Computer Science from Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Noida India from 2007-2011.
My bachelor's dissertation was on Tele-operation of Web Enabled Wireless Robot for Old Age Surveillance. My motive was to develop and introduce a prototype of a surveillance system for elderly people so that if any abnormal activity happens with them, their family members should get notified. The technical aspects of this work focused on identifying the abnormality from the video and audio data captured from the environment where an elderly person is. A wireless web-enabled robot was developed which tracks senior citizen and send data to the server. It was great fun to develop such system during my undergrad, and many faculty members appreciated it. Apart from research and studies, I love traveling, cooking, playing cricket, ping pong, and badminton.
Directed Research Assistant
Information Science Institute, USC
Los Angeles, California USA
Fall 2015 - present
1. Cyber Physical Systems (CPS) Security
￼ • Working on evaluating the resilience of cyber physical systems such as Oil and Gas plants including pipeline system.
• Working on Systems of Systems approach to understand the interaction between different systems for instance power systems and communication infrastructure.
2. Healthcare Security
• Working on secure policy architecture for healthcare settings so that people from different healthcare organizations can share their secret over an insecure channel.
Software Engineer Intern
OneDDoS Team, Azure
Redmond, Washington USA
May 2018 - Aug 2018
Worked in R&D Azure Cloud Network Security
• Worked on the DDoS Mitigation Platform in Azure.
• Implemented Geo-Fencing Feature in all Azure Regions using Microsoft Service Fabric.
• Geo Fencing feature enables Azure customers to profile their traffic based on the place of origin. The customers specify the continents, countries or list of IPs from where they expect traffic and decide whether to allow traffic or not during DDoS attacks.
Cloud Security Intern
Cloud Big Data Team
Software Technology Innovation Center (STIC), Schlumberger
Menlo Park, California USA
May 2017 - Aug 2017
Worked on Application Security and IoT security.
• Developed a Raspberry Pi bot for performing vulnerability assessment of SCADA devices.
• Web Service Security Testing
• Automated security aassessment of various network devices using DOme 9 APIs.
• Security assessment of IoT devices.
Thousand Oaks, California USA
May 2015 - Aug 2015
Worked on two iPhone/iPad applications for the company and deployed it successfully. Participated in:
• User Interface Design and Building Interaction Model
• User Acceptance Testing
• Code Development (using Xamarin IDE C# language and XCODE IDE Objective C)
• Development of Web services using Microsoft APIs and SharePoint APIs
• Security Risk Assessment of both applications
Android and WebApp Team
Oct 2013 - Nov 2014
Participated in the early development of the product for this start up.
• Developed Android application for Restaurants.
• Developed a prototype of Peer to Peer communication among Android devices
• Developed a product for taking feedback from customers in restaurants via Facebook check-in.
• Implemented Android Push Notification using Google Cloud Messaging API.
• Facebook integration with-in the Restaurant application
• Developed an intelligent system, which integrates e-Menu application with POS system using .NET framework.
• Active participation in the Business Development for the start up.
Security Management Trainee
Enterprise Risk Services
June 2013 - Sep 2014
• Participated in Secure Code Review,
• Vulnerability Assessment using Acunetix and Nessus
• Point of View of SCADA security
Teaching Assistant of INF 526: Security System Administration Course during Summer 2016, taught by Dr. Clifford Neuman at University of Southern California, USA. Also gave a lecture on Penetration Methodology.
Lab Assistant of Introduction to Computer Programming and Data Structures during Spring 2011 at Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Noida.
Yatin Wadhawan , Dr. Anas Al Majali, Dr. Clifford Neuman. "A Comprehensive Analysis of Smart Grid Systems against Cyber-Physical Attacks", MDPI: A special issue of Electronics: Cyber-Physical Systems .
Yatin Wadhawan , Dr. Anas Al Majali, Dr. Clifford Neuman. "PSP: A Framework to Allocate Resources to Power Storage Systems under Cyber-Physical Attacks", 5th International Symposium for ICS-SCADA Cyber Security.
Yatin Wadhawan , Dr. Anas Al Majali, Dr. Clifford Neuman. "A Systematic Approach to Analyze Multiple Cyber-Physical Attacks on Smart Grid", International Conference on Cyber Security of Cyber Physical Systems.
Yatin Wadhawan , Dr. Clifford Neuman. "RL-BAGS: A Tool for Smart Grid Risk Assessment", International Conference on Smart Grid and Clean Energy Technologies (ICSGCE).
Yatin Wadhawan , Sajal Gupta. "Tele-Operation of Web Enabled Wireless Robot for Old Age Surveillance", International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (CCSIT).
Yatin Wadhawan , Dr. Clifford Neuman. "BAGS: A Tool to Quantify Smart Grid Resilience", International Workshop on Cyber-Physical Security (IWCPS'17), FedCSIS.
Yatin Wadhawan , Dr. Clifford Neuman, Dr. Anas Al Majali. "Analyzing Cyber Physical Attacks on Smart Grid System", Workshop on Modeling and Simulation of Cyber-Physical Energy Systems, CPS week.
Yatin Wadhawan , Dr. Clifford Neuman. "Evaluating Resilience of Gas Pipeline Systems Under Cyber-Physical Attacks: A Function-Based Methodology", ACM CCS Workshop on Cyber-Physical Systems Security and Privacy.
Yatin Wadhawan , Dr. Clifford Neuman. "Defending Cyber-Physical Attacks on Oil Pipeline Systems: A Game-Theoretic Approach", International Workshop on AI for Privacy and Security, ECAI.
Yatin Wadhawan , Dr. Clifford Neuman. "Evaluating Resilience of Oil and Gas Cyber Physical Systems under Cyber Attacks: A Roadmap" , Industrial Control System Security Workshop, ACSAC.
Yatin Wadhawan , Dr. Clifford Neuman. "Poster: Secure Healthcare Architecture: People, Process and Technology Principle", ACSAC.