I am a Ph.D. candidate in
Computer Science at University of Southern California .
I work on Machine Learning and Social Media Analysis under the supervision of Dr. Yan Liu and Dr. Emilio Ferrara.
I conduct research in information propagation on social media. I am interested in machine learning and algorithms with applications of both in discrete combinatorial problems. I am currently working on understanding social media conversations and content propagation dynamics, towards reducing misinformation and creating a safe and healthy platform for online communications. I am working on the following topics:
- Coordinated Activity Detection in Social Media Manipulation
- Fake News Detection and Analysis
- Network Based Interventions for Disinformation Mitigation
May 2019 - Aug 2019
Research Intern | Facebook AI Integrity, Menlo Park, CA
Research under Dr. Pinar Donmez on modality-agnostic and task-agnostic label noise reduction to improve data quality and predictive models for policy violating contents.
May 2018 - Aug 2018
Data Science Intern | Adobe, San Jose, CA
Research under Dr. Austin Xu and Dr. William Yan on integration of fragmented data from heterogeneous sources to improve deep learning models of consumer behaviours.
July 2014 - July 2016
Senior Software Engineer | Samsung Research India, Bangalore
R&D under Dr. Lokendra Shastri on natural language dialogue understanding using evidence combination and contextual disambiguation for smart assistants.
Aug. 2016 -
University of Southern California
Computer Science Ph.D.
2010 - 2014
University of Mumbai
VJTI, B.Tech., Computer Engineering
- Characterizing Online Engagement with Disinformation and Conspiracies in the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election.
Karishma Sharma, Emilio Ferrara, Yan Liu
To Appear In Proceedings of 16th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM) 2022.
- Identifying Coordinated Accounts on Social Media through Hidden Influence and Group Behaviours.
Karishma Sharma*, Yizhou Zhang*, Emilio Ferrara, Yan Liu
In Proceedings of the 27th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery & Data Mining (KDD) 2021.
[Paper] [Code and Data]
- Network Inference from a Mixture of Diffusion Models for Fake News Mitigation
Karishma Sharma, Xinran He, Sungyong Seo, Yan Liu
In Proceedings of 15th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM) 2021.
- NoiseRank: Unsupervised Label Noise Reduction with Dependence Models
Karishma Sharma, Pinar Donmez, Enming Luo, Yan Liu, I. Zeki Yalniz
In Proceedings of 16th European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV) 2020.
[Paper] [Code on request]
- Neural User Response Generator: Fake News Detection with Collective User Intelligence
Feng Qian, Chengyue Gong, Karishma Sharma, Yan Liu
In International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI) pp. 3834-3840 2018.
Journals and Preprints
- Combating Fake News: A Survey on Identification and Mitigation Techniques
Karishma Sharma , Feng Qian, He Jiang, Natali Ruchansky, Ming Zhang, Yan Liu
In ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (ACM TIST) 2019.
- Covid-19 on Social Media: Analyzing Misinformation in Twitter Conversations
Karishma Sharma, Sungyong Seo, Chuizheng Meng, Sirisha Rambhatla, Yan Liu
[Press: Fortune AI]
- Covid-19 Vaccines: Characterizing Misinformation Campaigns and Vaccine Hesitancy on Twitter
Karishma Sharma, Yizhou Zhang, Yan Liu
[Press: USC Viterbi]
- Apparatus and Method for Automatically Converting Note to Action Reminders
Shastri L, Nookala R, Gupta A, Kailash AT, Tandon R, Sharma KR, SenguptaS, Srivastava U, Vaibhav, Chaudhary V, Yadav A, Pratik VA, et al.
United States patent active 15/143,070 US20160321617 A1
- Discrete Methods in Computer Science Fa2016, 2017, Sp2018 (USC CS-170)
- Advanced Topics in Deep Learning Fa2020 (USC CS-699)
- Machine Learning Sp2021 (USC CS-567)
- Accepted to 7th Heidelberg Laureate Forum, 2019.
- Accepted to Application-Oriented Computational Social Choice Seminar, Germany 2019.
- USC Women in Science and Engineering Travel Grant for GHC, 2016.
- Samsung Research India, Employee of the Month Award, May 2016.
- My idea of fun is Gardening :) And experimenting with Dance (Ballet, Jazz) and Painting (Waterfalls and animals!)