for GEOG 591
For my final project in GEOG 591, I will most likely employ an application that allows government authorities to assess the current placement of temporary cooling centers in a county or city.
What is a cooling center?
During a detrimental heat wave, local government authorities transform public buildings and spaces into cooling centers. These centers provide temporary relief to those who need air-conditioning, water, and/or medical attention. The centers are only opened for the duration of the heat wave. For more information, click here.
Why this topic?
I know this seems like a random topic. However, as someone who has experienced numerous heat waves throughout this country and who has spent the last 3 years working on public safety-related issues, I feel that I can use my personal and professional experience to create a practical project. Additionally, this project, with hope, can aid government authorities as they determine where to open cooling centers.
Project design (initial ideas)
· Geocode the current locations of temporary cooling centers
· Utilize Census data to obtain a percentage of the most vulnerable populations (i.e. elderly, homeless)
· Find the city or county’s hottest areas in the summer time
· Look at the centers’ proximity to schools, swimming pools, and tree clusterings
· Add zoom and identify capabilities