I am currently a senior research scientist at Google Research, working on Computer Vision and Deep Learning. I obtained my Ph.D. from University of Southern California, advised by Prof. Ram Nevatia. My current research interest includes object detection, action recognition and webly-supervised learning.
At Google, I am a core contributor of the TensorFlow Object Detection API, the AVA Atomic Visual Action Dataset and the Open Images Dataset. Together with my amazing colleagues, we won the COCO Object Detection Challenge 2016 and the iNaturalist Fine-grained Classification Challenge 2017. My research on Revisiting the Unreasonable Effectiveness of Data is covered by WIRED, Business Insider, etc.
Before coming to the United States, I got my bachelor degree in Computer Science from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. I have been lucky to intern with Sanketh Shetty and Rahul Sukthankar at Google Research; Lubomir Bourdev, Ronan Collobert and Manohar Paluri at Facebook AI Research.
Selected Recent Publications
- Chen Sun, Abhinav Shrivastava, Saurabh Singh and Abhinav Gupta, Revisiting Unreasonable Effectiveness of Data in Deep Learning Era. ICCV 2017
- Jiyang Gao, Chen Sun, Zhenheng Yang, Ram Nevatia, TALL: Temporal Activity Localization via Language Query. ICCV 2017
- Chunhui Gu, Chen Sun, David A. Ross, Caroline Pantofaru, Yeqing Li, Sudheendra Vijayanarasimhan, George Toderici, Susanna Ricco, Rahul Sukthankar, Cordelia Schmid and Jitendra Malik, AVA: A Video Dataset of Spatio-temporally Localized Atomic Visual Actions. arXiv:1705.08421
- Jonathan Huang, Vivek Rathod, Chen Sun, Menglong Zhu, Anoop Korattikara, Alireza Fathi, Ian Fischer, Zbigniew Wojna, Yang Song, Sergio Guadarrama, Kevin Murphy, Speed/accuracy trade-offs for modern convolutional object detectors. CVPR 2017
- Chen Sun, Manohar Paluri, Ronan Collobert, Ram Nevatia and Lubomir Bourdev, ProNet: Learning to Propose Object-specific Boxes for Cascaded Neural Networks. CVPR 2016
- Chen Sun, Sanketh Shetty, Rahul Sukthankar and Ram Nevatia, Temporal Localization of Fine-Grained Actions in Videos by Domain Transfer from Web Images. ACM Multimedia 2015
A full list of my publications can be found at my Google scholar page.